Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Fictional Places from Real Life


Hello Dear Beach Readers!
I love to learn from what and where authors get their inspiration for their beloved novels.

Many of you are familiar with Pat Conroy, 
Photo Credit: www.southernliving.com
author of numerous novels
about life in the "low country" of the South such as his acclaimed book-turned-major movie,
  The Prince of Tides.

Here is the inspiration for one of his earlier books, The Water is Wide.


Known as Daufuskie Island,


 this 8-square-mile island accessible only by water is the foundation for 
Conroy's book that incorporates the places and people of this 
tiny, historic locale. Conroy lived on the island for one year to do research for his book.

For more photos and info about Daufuskie, visit 

What many people don't know is that Conroy was actually fired after his first year teaching because of his "unconventional" teaching practices that included
 his refusal to use corporal punishment on his students.
Product Details
Hallmark Hall of Fame (2006)


 Conroy later received a humanitarian award from the National Education Association and the book became a film, "Conrack," starring Jon Voight in 1974 and a tv film in 2006.

Here is a reprinting of an interview with Conroy.
He's pictured with a former student who is now, herself, a published author. 


Monday, August 15, 2011


A Great Article this morning by Justin Paprocki of the Island Packet. "The Water Is Wide"


A mentor to last a lifetime Published author Sallie Ann Robinson shares accomplishments with Pat Conroy - the teacher who inspired her 40 years ago By JUSTIN PAPROCKI  









Have you read Pat Conroy? Have you seen his books-turned-movies?
Have you ever visited a place because you knew it was the inspiration 
for one of your favorite novels?
Would love to hear about it.

For more information, visit his website,
Pat Conroy

Happy Beach Reading -

More later---

XO, XO,

Linda

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the follow! Now following back:) I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not read Pat Conroy but I do like Hallmark Movies, so I am sure the book is great. Thanks for sharing about it.

    I am visiting tonight from the Say Hi Sunday blog hop. It is nice to 'meet' you. I really like your blog header and blog title.

    Blessings,
    LaVonne @ Long Wait For Isabella

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always loved to read and really can't remember how it all started it has been that long. If it is a good book, I can finish it in one day, two at the max! I am a new follower from the blog hop and I am following you thru GFC and RSS Feed. I cannot follow thru FB right now and its a long story so please check out my post dated August 20th on the Weekend Blog Hops. As soon as they take care of it I can follow. I will leave it up to you if you want to follow me now or wait until I can follow you first. Either way I understand. Follow what you can and I will be happy! Thanks so much and have a great day!

    Mary@http://www.mmbearcupoftea.com

    ReplyDelete